On January 21st, 2017, I wrote:
Although a fascist reigns in Washington,
And Earth is steeped in hate and bigotry,
We’ll march until the chains all come undone,
And everyone—all humankind—is free.
All right. Freedom is a good end-goal, but what about now? How do I deal with the INCONTROVERTIBLE FACT that Donald Trump has just banned refugees from seven Muslim-majority countries entry into the States for months?!
- Access is a human right. ACCESS IS A HUMAN RIGHT!
- He’s certainly angered clerics and laypeople all over the Middle East…which does the multiple peace-processes there no favours…
- He would remove people like Ali Khoshbakhti Vayeghan, an Iranian nearly returned to Iran by way of Dubai, from places where, nominally, they can be SAFE.
Let’s back up. Let me be perfectly clear. If access is a human right, and if everybody—EVERY FUCKING BODY—has an inalienable right to life, liberty, and human flourishing…
Then Trump’s order banning refugees and immigrants from Muslim-majority countries is IMMORAL as well as illegal. Detaining, deporting, and violating innocent human bodies is WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
The order is immoral because it violates Matthew 25:35, just as a friend pointed out indirectly the other day. In that verse, Jesus asserts, “I was a stranger, and you welcomed me…I was in prison, and you visited me.” ALL HUMAN BEINGS NEED WELCOME, because when we welcome each other we grow together, and we increase the possibility for flourishing for ALL…but no. Mr. Trump would cast people he doesn’t even know into regions of possible and unspeakable terror and pain. Holy fuck…I can hardly breathe.
Trump also ignores, and therefore violates, Leviticus 19:33-34 and 24:22: “When the alien resides with you, you shall not oppress the alien…” Oh, AND Numbers 9:14 and 15:15-16: “You shall have one statute for the resident alien and the native.” Trump doesn’t have one law. He has two. Heaven help us, he likely has many laws…which, of course, reminds me of Tacitus. “The more corrupt a nation is, the more laws it has.” And absolute power corrupts, absolutely…
Okay. What can I do? How do I resist Trump’s executive order from here?
- I can—and I do!—affirm the dignity of my neighbours who are Muslim, and I signal-boost them whenever I can!
- I also scour the Qu’ran for material on hospitality.
- I breathe deeply, and promise myself to begin (anew?) each day to treat people with dignity.
- I celebrate the achievements of Muslims and persons of colour. In the former case, these include architectural concepts, Arabic numerals and algebra, and (some) literacy…oh, look, coffee. Apparently, coffee comes from Ethiopia and/or Yemen. Did Trump forget?
- I cry out every time I hear of Muslims being killed.
- I complain every time, every time, I hear of our media misrepresenting Muslims or people of colour.
- I will pray with, as well as for, my Muslim siblings.
- I will read Rumi, and possibly Gibran.
- I will continue to listen to R&B, rock and roll, and soul…and I will expand my palette of sonic inspiration to Middle Eastern music.
- I will report to my brothers and sisters of colour that I am a person of safety.
- I will join in solidarity with those affected by the mosque-shooting in Quebec in January 2017.
That won’t be enough, but I know I can do those things…and with all these measures, I can take small steps to END THE BIGOTRY against embodied difference represented by this hateful order.